Thursday, January 30, 2014

NAMM 2014 Wrap-Up

The 2014 NAMM show has now come and gone, and I wanted to take a few moments to share a few of the highlights of my experience this year. Here they are, in chronological order...

The NAMM U Breakfast Sessions / Kevin Spears (www.kalimbaman.bandcamp.com)
I think one of the highlights of the show for anyone willing to get up early enough is definitely the NAMM U Breakfast Sessions at the Hilton. The Hilton staff deserves huge credit for being able to handle the logistics of feeding so many so well. Kalimba player Kevin Spears was on hand to share some music with us, and he really opened my eyes to some of the unique sounds the kalimba is able to achieve with the aid of modern technology.

La Luna Sound (www.lalunasound.com)
While in line for breakfast, I met a representative from La Luna Sound, makers of fine hardwood picks. I was graciously given a few samples to demo, and I'm honestly really enjoying them so far!

UVI (www.uvi.net)
I'm a huge fan of France's UVI software instruments. I follow them very closely and am always anticipating their next release. It was great to get to visit UVI's booth this year and chat with the staff. I also got a demo of Sparkverb, and it was fascinating to see. It's a unique take on reverb, and I think it has huge creative application.

Eiosis (www.eiosis.com)
I visited Eiosis again this year, and got to catch up on their upcoming AirEq. Having seen it at last years show as well, it looks like it's come a long way. They're done extensive beta testing over the past year, and have been able to implement a lot of new features and improvements to it. I believe AirEq is set to ship in February, and though it's been a slow wait, it's looking like it'll be worth every penny.

Abbatron (www.abbatron.com)
It was great to get to catch up with Charles and Chris of Abbatron! For the uninitiated, Abbatron makes cable components for some of the finest cable makers in the business (Mogami, Analysis Plus, Devine Noise Cables, etc.). They've been working on a new instrument cable, called the Genesis Pure. It's set to be released in next month or so, and will be distributed by Analysis Plus.

Strezov Sampling (www.strezov-sampling.com)
An unexpected gem I found at the show was Bulgaria's Strezov Sampling. George Strezov gave me a few demos of some of their Kontact-based libraries, and I was quite impressed! Their focus is mostly in the epic-score arena, and they have an impressive set of offerings so far, at very reasonable price-points. I'm excited to follow them and see what they come up with next.

Geoffrey Gee (www.vitalartsmedia.com/Play/geoffreygee.html)
The absolute highlight of my trip to NAMM this year was getting to correct a mistake I made at the show last year. I was at Synthogy's booth waiting for Jordan Rudess to make an appearance, and there was a pianist there before-hand demoing Ivory II, and he was probably the most expressive piano player I think I've ever seen live. As impressed as I was, I also failed to get his name, and kicked myself for many months after. This year, as I was on my way out, I went by Synthogy's booth and there he was, demoing Ivory II. It turns out that his name is Geoffrey Gee. I had the pleasure of talking with him for a bit and was very glad to have to have had the chance to meet him.

All in all it was a great show this year! I got to see a lot of awesome new gear, meet a lot of great people, and I ran into some good friends as well. 

The 2014 NAMM Show









Right now I'm listening to:
November (Geoffrey Gee)